Fixed-term appointment – Minimum 7 months, Maternity Leave Cover
Interpeace is an international organization for peacebuilding that supports locally led peacebuilding initiatives around the world. Interpeace tailors its approach to each society and ensures that the work is locally driven. Together with local partners and local teams, Interpeace jointly develops peacebuilding programmes and helps establish processes of change that connect local communities, civil society, government and the international community.
As a strategic partner of the United Nations, Interpeace is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland and has offices around the world.
For more information about Interpeace, please visit www.interpeace.org
Position within the Organization
The Digital Communications Officer is a member of the Strategic Partnerships & Communications (SP&C) Unit. The SP&C Unit is led from the Headquarters office in Geneva, and team members are based in different locations around the world including Guatemala City and Brussels.
Interpeace’s SP&C Unit leads the strategic positioning of the organization towards partners and the general public, enabling the organization to better mobilize the resources, knowledge and political momentum required to achieve its mandate. The SP&C Unit has a twofold objective: 1. It is responsible for developing, maintaining and enhancing strong strategic partnerships with governments and international organizations, and 2. It is responsible for leading the organization’s external communication efforts by providing advice, coordination as well as editorial and technical capacity support. It does so in accordance with the Organization’s Communication Framework adopted in 2014 by the Governing Board.
Under direct supervision from the Global Communications Manager based in Guatemala City, the Digital Communications Officer works closely with all members of the SP&C Unit, as well as Programme Officers and Communication Focal points to efficiently develop strategic communications products, which are implemented in digital platforms.
Purpose and General Overview
Working closely with the Global Communications Manager and in line with the SP&C Unit, the Digital Communications Officer develops and implements a variety of communications products that support programme-related needs and overall engagement and external relations of Interpeace, acknowledging political and social sensitivities. This position requires a deep understanding of Interpeace’s mandate and mission, to adequately convey institutional messages on all digital communication products and channels.
The Digital Communications Officer is responsible for the online presence of Interpeace, ensuring that communications and messages across all digital channels are consistent and speak with one institutional voice. S/he consults and gathers information from Programme Officers, Communication Focal points, and Heads of Units to design and develop content that will be used to disseminate information about the organizations work and objectives. S/he provides professional guidance and counsel across the organization on the design of communication actions. S/he coordinates with the Graphic Designer and external service providers, like Interpeace’s webmasters and video producers, to guarantee a successful development of digital communication products. S/he manages external communications channels: Interpeace websites, social media accounts and digital marketing tools.
Guided by and in collaboration with the Global Communications Manager, a successful Digital Communications Officer will have:
- Ensured a consistent institutional voice across all Interpeace websites, reflecting Interpeace’s mission and values.
- Developed and successfully implemented a variety of digital communication products that strengthen Interpeace’s image and reputation to external audiences.
- Developed consistent and flexible digital communication products and content that adapt and are mindful of the needs and political/social sensitivities of Interpeace’s programmes worldwide.
- Strengthened Interpeace’s presence on social media channels – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Duties and responsabilities
- Develop content based on published reports and institutional information provided by Programme Officers, Communication Focal points and Heads of Unit. This includes, but is not limited to: writing substantive articles, drafting web stories and video scripts, as well as developing posts for digital channels.
- Work closely with the Graphic Designer to produce communication products that will be used in digital platforms to achieve strategic This includes but is not limited to providing the necessary information/graphic materials and feedback on the design of digital products to be used in the Website, Newsletter, Email Campaigns, Social Media accounts, among others.
- Responsible for Interpeace’s websites, including content development, updates and design changes. Websites include: interpeace.org, ipat-interpeace.org, peacetalks.net,constitutionmakingforpeace.org and wcmv.org.
- Oversee the maintenance, updates and continuous improvement of Interpeace’s websites, ensuring a consistent digital profile across sites and channels.
- Work closely with the webmaster, considering new ideas, evaluating and then implementing.
- Staying abreast with trends in this sector. Constantly considering how to best position and amplify content.
- Updating user guides and keeping team abreast of skills needed to keep website consistent.
- Responsible for managing Interpeace social media accounts, including content development. Social media accounts include: a global Facebook Account, a global Twitter Account, a global LinkedIn Account and a global Instagram Account, Peace Talks Facebook Account, Peace Talks Twitter Account, Peace Talks Instagram Account.
- Design, develop and implement communication products using social media to strengthen Interpeace’s presence, disseminate Interpeace’s work and reinforce strategic partnerships.
- Develop social media campaigns aligned with communication strategies and objectives.
- Provide professional counsel and train colleagues and partners on the use of social media, to maintain consistency across all channels.
- Draft video scripts to be approved by Communications Manager and Head of Unit.
- Consolidate material – photo and video – to be used in the editing process of diverse institutional videos.
- Coordinate with service providers to edit and animate institutional videos.
- Responsible for editing videos for social media, which includes, but is not limited to: selecting appropriate messages, including necessary titles and subtitles.
Newsletter and Email Campaigns
- Develop and continuously update the Interpeace Newsletter, ensuring consistency with the Communications Framework.
- Regularly distribute the Newsletter content to the institutional Mailing List.
- Contribute to constantly update contact management database.
- Develop email campaigns to support the distribution and dissemination of Interpeace reports, as well as support in the advertisement and promotion of diverse events, such as Peace Talks.
- Using different data sources, such as: Google Analytics, Meltwater and other monitoring tools, create monthly reports on the performance and engagement of Interpeace’s websites and social media channels to be shared with the Strategic Partnerships and Communications Unit.
- Create reports using the mentioned monitoring tools to provide feedback on the engagement and performance of campaigns and events launched and organized by Interpeace.
- Tertiary degree required, preferably in journalism, communications, or a related
- A minimum of 4 years of experience is required
- Experience contributing to organizational social media accounts
- Experience using digital technologies in innovative ways
- Experience in planning and developing materials for websites and social media
- Experience using design programmes, including InDesign/ Photoshop/ other graphics packages
- Experience using email marketing tools (Mail chimp)
- Experience working on websites using CMS (word press) and experience in HTML coding
- Experience using editing programmes, including Premiere
- Proficient English skills required, knowledge of Spanish and/or French is considered an asset
- Proficient in content marketing theory and application
- Proficient in sourcing and managing content development
- Excellent writing skills in English, including the ability to proofread and edit documents
- A good understanding of issues related to violence prevention, peacebuilding international relations and security issues
- Technical expertise in order to work in diverse programmes including: graphic packages, marketing platforms, word press and video editing
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment successfully and to demonstrate gender- responsive and non-discriminatory behavior and attitudes.
- Excellent ability to interact with people respectfully and with tact
- Ability to deal with confidential information and/or issues using discretion and good judgment
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Flexibility, ability to multi-task, prioritise and work under pressure
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally
- Collaboration and Weaving
- Drive for results
- Adaptability and Continuous Learning
- Respect for Diversity
- Identifies with and is committed to Interpeace’s core values and working principles
- Commitment to inclusiveness
- An innovative, critical thinker with extensive problem-solving skills
Interpeace values diversity among its staff and aims to achieve gender equality both through gender parity at all levels of the organisation and promoting a gender dimension in all its work. We welcome applications from women and men, and those with disabilities.