Washington, United States
Deputy Division Chief (COMPC) ( Job Number: 1900866 )
- This position requires Review Committee/Senior Review Committee Approval.
- This vacancy shall be filled by a 3-year Term appointment in accordance with the Fund’s new employment rules taking effect on May 1, 2015.
COM is the Fund’s strategic center for communication. It develops and coordinates the IMF’s external and internal communications strategy, shapes the IMF’s key messages, advises IMF Management and staff on how best to convey key messages, and monitors and responds to what people outside the IMF say about the institution and its activity.
The Policy Communications Division (COMPC) works with other COM divisions and the Front Office to develop and disseminate IMF messages to a variety of audiences, including policymakers, academics, media, civil society, students, and the educated lay public. The division creates and publishes content on several platforms: the IMF Blog, Finance & Development Magazine (a quarterly flagship print and digital publication), Country Focus (web-based articles on IMF’s policy advice to its membership), the IMF’s Factsheet Series, as well as multimedia products such as podcasts and videos and social media products and campaigns. The division also monitors and assesses the impact of products, using data analytics.
Key Responsibilities Working closely with the division chief, the selected candidate will:
- Provide guidance and direction on the division’s strategy, drawn from the Fund’s and the department’s priorities, as well as on the development, planning, and implementation of the work program
- Develop, coach, and mentor staff; and help to raise the capacity in the division
- Support the daily operations of the division, including by reviewing content published on different platforms, help to plan and produce clear communications products on key policy priorities and country developments, and drive innovationÂ—including on how best to use digital platforms
- Establish and manage relationships with key stakeholders
- As part of COM ‘s leadership team, contribute ideas and participate in strategic discussions on the work and management of the department; as well as collaborate across various work units, and promote collaborative thinking more broadly
The successful candidate will have knowledge of the IMF’s mission, priorities, policy work, global economic and financial issue, and proven and broad-based experience in the communications field. She/he will possess strong team leadership and people management ability, and be a corporate player.
The selected candidate will have significant experience in developing various communications products and optimally using different platforms, ranging from magazine writing and editing, to social media, videos, and podcasts. A creative mindset with an outstanding ability to explain technical material in plainspoken language, build relationships, drive change to continue modernizing policy communications, negotiate and influence, and collaborate very effectively are requirements for this position.
The IMF is committed to achieving a diverse staff, including gender, nationality, culture and educational background.