Country Finance Coordinator – Syria
Years of experience:
17 Dec 2019
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Country Finance Coordinator
Duty station: Damascus, Syria with travel to field location and Beirut
Starting date: 01/12/2019
Contract duration: 13 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission/Regional Finance Coordinator
Supervision of: 1 National Staff
General context of the project
INTERSOS is a non-profit humanitarian aid organization that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts.
INTERSOS has signed an MoU with SARC in May 2019 to operate in Syria. INTERSOS has a consolidated presence in the region (Lebanon, Iraq and Jordan) whit a multi sector program focused on the humanitarian assistance of Syrian refugees located in urban and rural areas. INTERSOS is now setting up its presence in Syria mainly focusing in protection, education and primary health sectors with the objective to strengthen related basic services to vulnerable people in different areas of the country.
A first project is implemented with AICS funds with education in emergency and child protection as main sectors of intervention; negotiation with UNHR are on going as well as with other donors.
The expected number of national staff for 2020 should be among 20 and 30.
INTERSOS Syria is supported by a Legal Adviser in the setting up of the Mission procedure in order to be in line with the Syrian legal framework.
General purpose of the position
The Country Finance Coordinator is responsible for the proper technical performance of all accounting-financial and administrative activities of the mission and its projects. In this context, he/she will support the HoM in completing the setting up of the Mission financial department, inclusive of preparing Mission SoP, he/she will be responsible for the management of the Mission financial department to ensure the correct and effective management of financial resources, in accordance with the Organization and donor procedures.
S/he is part of the coordination team and contribute to the mission general coordination and development.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Finance and admin control tasks
- Transaction Booking in PN (Prima Nota)
- Responsible for cash account administration, ensuring conformity with the approved budget;
- Support the HoM in the Shared costs/indirect costs proper allocation on Budgets
- Support the HoM in drafting the budget for new proposals and concept notes, with regular interactions with funding agencies with short and unexpected requests
- Ensure correct budget processing, checking conformity and consistency of expense items, as well as accordance with procedures in force
- Assess new administrative requirements against estimated activities.
- Support in the preparation of budget amendment of the different project all through the year,
- Prepare the interim and final financial reports and submit them to the Head of Mission and Regional Finance Controller for approval;
- To update the economic and financial status of the mission and related projects, in terms of expenses, appropriations, available cash and liquidity;
- To support HoM in preparing monitor and manage the structure cost file
- To ensure correct budget processing, checking conformity and consistency of expense items, as well as accordance with procedures in force
- To check that inventory and related documents are kept;
- To provide the Regional Finance Officer with official documentation on individual projects and contracts;
- To update the list of reliable suppliers, as indicated by the Head of Mission, for subsequent use in specific procedures;
- Scan and upload on the platform the Financial reports signed by the HoM and submitted to partners
- To prepare and carry out the audits conducted in the country, and to transmit to the central headquarter the documents of all the projects to be audited in Italy
Compliance with internal and external donor procedures
- To ensure compliance with INTERSOS and donor procedures in all the financial and administrative aspects of the mission inclusive of drafting Mission SoPs to ensure the correct application of those procedures.
- To set up, organize and manage the administrative files pertaining the mission and in loco projects, based on criteria defined by the Protocols and any indications from the Regional Finance Coordinator
- To support in the preparation for internal and external auditing.
Execution of goods, works and services procurement:
- Ensure the proper preparation and execution of goods, works and services procurement processes and conformity to Intersos and donor procedures
- Commitment and finance verification of expenditures/procurement
- To verify that the expenditures and commitments in procurement are in line with budget availability and current level of spent (IMP)
- To prepare the payroll and pay slips following the application of the INTERSOS procedure and the Syrian law requirements,
- Support the HoM in identifying standing labor laws;
- To support in the payment of salaries
- Manage the local personnel register, subdivided by project; and submit to the lawyer for processing payments of due taxes and social insurance to the relevant authorities;
- Follow up the admin related issue with the lawyer.
Ensure proper cash management on the mission and on the bases
- To assume responsibility for cash account administration;
- To manage the bank accounts of the mission and provide the Regional Finance Controller with monthly bank statements and bank reconciliations;
- To provide the Regional Finance Controller with monthly cash reconciliations;
Any other duties not listed here, but considered necessary to the mission and as directed by the Head of Mission and Regional Finance Coordinator.
Required profile and experience
- Advanced university degree in finance, business administration or other related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience at similar position (admin, finance) in humanitarian context
- Strong and proven understanding of the humanitarian operating context, the humanitarian system and its flexibility, donors and their high demanding, security and financial management in humanitarian context
- Strong knowledge of donor’s procedures notably UN agencies (UNHCR)
- Very strong skills in computer (excel) and admin/finance procedures
- Highly able to keep confidentiality
- Able to work independently
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision, management
- Organization skills, delegative and empowerment approach of the supervised team
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
- Previous proven experience in the setting-up of a Mission will be considered an advantage
- English is mandatory
- Italian and/or Arabic is an advantage
- Proactiveness and strong problem-solving approach
- Flexibility to adapt to a dynamic context and to the volume of work
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multicultural environment
- Ability to work and adapt in different environments
- High reactivity to unexpected demands
- Capacity to work under stress and meets the deadlines
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills