Content Development Coordinator – Short term contract with possibility of extension to one year
20 Dec 2019
FilmAid Kenya (FAK) is a development and humanitarian organization that harnesses the power and influence of film, media, and the arts to respond to displaced communities in need as well as promote social change. Using a participatory community-based approach, FilmAid provides displaced people with actionable information about their rights, their safety, their health, and their future. Using compelling video, radio, print, SMS, and digital media campaigns, FilmAid reaches over 400,000 people every year. Additionally, FilmAid’s 12-month Media training courses empower the next generation of storytellers with the skills they need to advocate for themselves, their community, and their right to a future filled with Hope. We believe that it is only by leveraging the talent and tenacity of refugee communities themselves that FilmAid can Project Hope, and Change Lives.
DW Akademie (DWA) and FilmAid Kenya (FAK) collaborated, providing journalism training in the Kakuma refugee camp in 2016 and 2017. As a result of an information needs assessment conducted in Kakuma and Turkana County in June 2019, a new project will improve access to information for refugees and host communities in northwestern Kenya and foster dialogue between the two groups. The conversation will be achieved through Radio Listener Groups using relevant audio content produced by a group of highly skilled and motivated audio content producers from the refugee and host community. Communities served will dictate the issues vital to them that, in turn, will inform the Content Generators’ thematic focus.
To coordinate and develop audio content produced through the collaboration of DW Akademie (DWA) and FilmAid Kenya (FAK) to inform Content Generators’ thematic focus.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Ensure production work plans, schemes of work, and support reporting on productions and training outcomes effectively and promptly.
- Develop Content Generators recruitment standards that are competitive, objective, and inclusive.
- In collaboration with DW Akademie, FilmAid Kenya, and visiting teaching consultants, develop training standards in audio production (i.e., scheme of work, curriculum, standardized assessments, course work, student records, attendance sheets, etc.).
- Facilitate the implementation of capacity building workshops for Content Generators delivered by visiting teaching consultants.
- Maintain high quality of the training program using evaluation tools that are industry standard.
- Ensure compliance with audio production standards and formats and high-quality, engaging content that responds to consumers’/ communities’ information needs.
- Comply with participatory and collaborative approaches when implementing the project, taking into consideration the needs of listeners, gender, child and adult safeguarding, and sound journalism ethics.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism or related field.
- Minimum four (4) years of progressively responsible professional work experience in commercial and community radio.
- Highly developed communication skills and excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken.
- Ability to oversee creative productions in multiple languages and formats
- Thorough understanding of the principles of Creative Copyright issues.
- Experience in conflict-sensitive reporting.
- Experience working with refugees and host communities
- Experience working within an international, multi-lingual environment and ability to work well under pressure in challenging situations.
- Spoken and written French or Arabic or Turkana or German is desirable
Skills and Competencies:
- Well organized, adaptable, with excellent planning, multi-tasking, and time management skills.
- Imaginative, creative, and artistic.
- Effective leadership, management, and supervision of implementing teams.
- The successful candidate is committed to child & adult safeguarding principles and humanitarian principles and action.