1. Project Summary.
Vétérinaires Sans Frontieres Germany (VSF G)
Securing livelihoods of agro-pastoralists through setting up and strengthening of livestock sector value chains, promoting infrastructure and generating income
Maroodjeex and Awdal Region ( Wajaale and Gabalay districts)
July 2019 – December 2020
Type of assignment.
Baseline assessment of capacity of milk and meat vendors’/processors on business management skills, marketing and group governance.
The capacity assessment shall use a participatory process, promoting maximum input from all relevant stakeholders, including local authorities, vendors, business community, other and project staff. The as sessment will use both quantitative and qualitative methods to identify the existing capacities, gaps and way-forward in developing the vendor’s business management, marketing and governance.
Duration of consultancy
15 December 2019 to 5th January 2020.
Anticipated assessment report release dates
30th December 2019.
2. Background and context
2.1. Overall description
VSF Germany is an international Non-Governmental Organization, providing humanitarian aid and development assistance to pastoralists and vulnerable communities in areas where livestock is of importance. In the region, VSF Germany implements activities in Southern Sudan, Northern Sudan, Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia. With focus on livestock health, agriculture, value chain and marketing, food safety, natural resources management, Peace and Conflict, Good governance, Disasters & Emergency but also developing the capacities of communities and governmental institutions, VSF Germany works towards food security and strengthened livelihoods of pastoralist communities
The livestock accounts for about 60-70% of the total GDP and also employs 80% of the workforce in Somaliland: significantly contributing to the national economy. In different Somali communities, livestock producers are regarded as producers of milk and meat, income generators and stores of wealth. Fresh milk and other dairy products are staple food, vital items of trade for daily income but actual local supply below demand in both urban and rural areas in terms of quantity and quality in Somaliland. The below demand milk supply of milk is a function of low hygienic and quality standards since most of the trade is done through informal channels, where rules and regulations, if any, are hardly observed.
In Somaliland , VSF- Germany has been implementing a 18 months (July 2019 to December 2020) the BMZ funded project to strengthen dairy and meat value chain for income and food safety in agro-pastoral systems in collaboration with Ministry of Livestock and other stakeholders of Somaliland. In addition, the project will collaborate closely with other key stakeholders-at producer, trader and consumer levels while strengthening public and private partnership (PPP) particularly in the dairy and meat sectors. In addition, the project collaborates closely with District Authorities in the two districts of operation to ensure the success and attainment of its objective.
The purposes for this capacity assessment are to:
- To understand and identify milk and meat vendors existing capacities in business management skills, marketing and group governance.
- To analyze the extra capacities needed by vendors in business management, marketing and group governance to reach the expected objectives.
- To formulate capacity development program for vendors to build a sustainable business
- To set the baseline for monitoring and evaluation of progress against relevant indicators.
- To facilitate create basis for long-term planning, implementation and sustainable results.
- To identify the main challenges faced by vendors in management, marketing and governance.
4. KEY Responsibilities
4.1. Scope of consultancy
The aim of the consultancy is to assess the general situation of business management and marketing and governance of local milk and meat vendors. The consultant is expected to identify the key capacities already exist and what additional capacities may be needed to reach objectives to support capacity development process.
4.2. Key tasks.
This capacity assessment shall document:
· The management capacity of Milk/ meat vendors, including, financial, procurement, communication and logistics systems.
· The marketing management capacity of milk/ meat vendors including marketing approaches and methods, and marketing resources.
· The group governance capacity of vendors including group cohesions, individual and group networks, social structures,
· The existing and effectiveness of conflict resolution mechanisms in the areas of return.
· The key challenges in doing business by vendors
· Training needs of vendors in business management, marketing and governance.
5. Approach and Methodology.
In this assignment, VSF Germany expects the consultant(s) to employ both quantitative and qualitative methods for collection of data/information, using participatory tools and techniques. The consultant will develop and finalize the tools in conjunction with VSFG programme team.
Comprehensive desk review of all relevant documents i.e. related literature, and project proposal and related Government Policy documents
The capacity assessment shall use a participatory process, promoting maximum input from all relevant stakeholders, including local authorities, vendors, business community, other and project staff.
The consultant(s) will interact with staff of VSFG, Ministry of Livestock; District Authorities other key stakeholders, Milk and Meat Vendors and private sectors on a sample basis. The assessment will use both quantitative and qualitative methods to identify the existing capacities, gaps and way-forward in developing the vendor’s business management, marketing and governance. For qualitative survey, the participants should be key informants from all sections of key stakeholders (e.g. community members, project beneficiaries, milk and meat vendors , individual engaged in milk and meat selling , producers and policy makers of relevant departments, government service providers, NGOs) to accord them a chance to give their views on the milk and meat business and marketing and observations made in project areas relevant to this assessment.
The consultant will provide leadership and bear responsibility for the process, the findings, comments and the content of the final document.
The general rule related to acceptable margins of error (5%) in social research will apply in this study. However, sampling criteria should be agreed upon with VSFG programme team before being adopted.
6. Key tasks, deliverables/outputs and timing**
6.1. Inception report:
This shall provide a summary description of the methodology to answer the evaluation questions as well as the proposed source of information and data collection process and shall be submitted not later than 3 days after start of contract.
6.2. Draft final assessment report
The report shall be submitted not later than 15 days from start date of the task to be validated by stakeholders in a workshop setting for feedback on the findings. The draft report will be the precursor to the final report. The main body should not exceed 30 pages excluding appendices.
6.3. Final assessment report
The final report shall incorporate feedback from stakeholders and submitted not later than 20 days from start of the assignment. It shall be submitted in 3 hard copies and 3 copies in an electronic format to VSF Germany for final approval and adoption.
NOTE: Further works or revisions of the report may be required and if the final assessment report does not meet the requirements of the TOR, it may not be accepted and the client will be at liberty to reject it with service provider bearing the liability.
6.4. Key tasks
The following main tasks will be undertaken:
· Document Review: BMZ project documents and other available relevant documents.
· Draft and submit the assessment Methodology and Tools to Program/ Project manager for review prior to the start of the exercise.
· Information Collection in project Locations: Information will be collected by the consultant (and/or enumerators) through key informant interviews, focus group discussions, HH questionnaires and site visits.
· Presentation of Preliminary Findings: at the conclusion of the field work, the consultant will give a brief presentation of preliminary findings to the PM and project staff.
· Analysis and Report Writing: Analysis of the data and produce the assessment report with recommendations.
· Finalization of the Report: based on input from stakeholders and Project/ VSFG staff.
7. VSF GERMANY RESPONSIBILITIES
VSF G will facilitate the transport, accommodation and stationary needs of consultant during the assessment exercise
8. REPORTING Arrangements
The Consultant will report to Country Director / Program manager and work with the project manager for coordination and liaison.
9. DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT
Provide anticipated and tentative timeframe for the consultancy. Indicate date by which the final report/ outputs must be submitted to VSF G.
The entire assignment must be completed within 20 calendar days from the start date, with the following timeline:
· Document review and inception report not later 2 days from start of the task.
· Develop Methodology and tools 3 days
· Data collection – 9 days (including three travel days).
· Data analysis and report writing– 3 days and presentation of the draft
· Final report – not later than 3 days after receiving feedback from VSFG and stakeholders.
The assignment consists of 20 calendar days as shown in a tentative timetable below.
Develop Methodology and Tools
Conduct data collection/ interviews/ visits in project location
Gabiley, Wajaale, Kalabaydh
Data analysis/ report writing/presentations/ report submission.
10. PROFILE OF CONSULTANT
- Minimum a Master’s degree in Agricultural economics, Livestock Production, Veterinary Medicine, Public Policy, sociology, Development Studies, development studies, rural development, Animal Husbandry or other related fields.
- At least five years professional experience in capacity building, monitoring and evaluation field, including relevant field experience, especially in crisis or post-conflict settings.
- Demonstrated experience in working with NGOs and government institutions and other stakeholders in private sector programs.
- Vast experience in the area of livestock value chain, marketing, product development or comparable assignments.
- Autonomous, working with minimal supervision.
- Result-oriented, team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, diplomacy and integrity.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and professional skills in interacting with communities and development partners;
- Skills in facilitation of stakeholder engagement/workshops;
- Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments.
- A mix of experiences in agro-pastoral and pastoral production and market systems and social research methodologies. Extensive experience in the specific fields related to the ASAL and, particularly in Somalia context will be required.
- Excellent communication skills as well as demonstrated writing and presentation skills
- Familiarity with pastoral setting and livestock value chain analysis.
- Experience of conducting capacity assessment, monitoring and evaluation at field level.
- Experience in both quantitative and qualitative research methods and data analysis.
- Fluency in English (written and verbal) is required.
11. Expression of interest
Any person/firm interested in undertaking this task should send an expression of interest comprising:
· Technical proposal; The technical proposal should briefly and clearly describe the following aspects; uunderstanding of the task, ttechnical aspect of the proposal, mmethodology to be used, operational plan, and curriculum vitae (CV as an annex) of the person to do the work and with contact details.
· Financial proposal: The financial proposal/budget of the task should be broken down in details as follows: Consultancy fees, cost of data analysis, communication and report production. All costs must be in USD currency.
12. Mode of payment
· 1st installment- the Consultant/firm will be paid 20%** of the quoted amount after submission of the preliminary report of the assignment.
· 2nd installment- 80%** of the total amount shall be paid upon submission and approval of the final report and approved policy.
The payments will be made in A/C payee cheques/or direct bank transfer in the name of the consultant or firm as indicated in the signed contract. VSF Germany will deduct with-holding tax at source as per the rules of taxation governing VSFG operations and it will be deposited directly to the custodian of such tax. No other benefits shall be admissible beyond what is stipulated in the contract, nor does it guarantee a regular position in MoL or VSF Germany.
13. GENERAL Term of reference
- The contact person in VSFG Somali Office, Hargeisa will be the Technical Advisor/PM.
- Required logistics support will be provided by VSF Germany as prescribed in the contract.
- All documents prepared during the assignment will be property of VSF Germany and consortium partners.
- Assignment will not be sub-contracted to a third party by the consultant.
- In the event that, additional time is required to complete the assignment, over and above that previously agreed to, without changing the scope of work, then it has to be agreed with VSF Germany in writing.
- Confidentiality of all the assignment will be assured at all times.
How to apply:
14. APPLICATION PROCESS
Interested consultants/firms are requested to read and strictly follow the detailed Terms of Reference and submit both technical and financial proposals not later than at 17:00, Monday 9th December, 2019**.
The proposals should be submitted in a sealed envelope marked: ‘Vendors Capacity assessment and addressed to ; Head of HR and Admin, VSF-G, Hargeisa Main Office, Near Frantz Fanon University(Ex-Vet-Aid Office) OR through e-mail to: [email protected] and [email protected], with CC to:[email protected] and [email protected] . The screening of applicants and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis and selection done as soon as a suitable candidate is identified within 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Job City Somaliland