UNICEF South Sudan
Job no: 528076
Position type: Temporary Appointment
Location: South Sudan
Division/Equivalent: Nairobi Regn’l(ESARO)
School/Unit: South Sudan
Department/Office: Juba, South Sudan
Categories: P-3, Operations and Business Management
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child,
The overall objectives of Administration Section are as stated below:
1. Feasibility studies for the viability and cost effectiveness of undertaking any Office construction project along with geo-technical and Land surveys of any intended project
2. Architectural design of any Office construction project in Juba and Zone Offices
3. Production of architectural working drawings for all intended projects
4. Preparation of TOR’s and BOQ’s for all intended Office and programmes construction projects.
5. Monitor and supervise all construction projects for Operations and Programme Sections
6. Design and supervision of any warehouse and storage facility for programme supplies
7. Support to the Office and programme construction activities which are ongoing.
Purpose of the job:
In this regard, the incumbent will carry out the following key responsibilities in conformity with level two emergency in South Sudan.
Under the direct supervision of the Administrative Manager, P-4, the Construction Engineer will be responsible for the overall oversight of construction projects and contracts with the South Sudan Country Office for the Operations section, providing not only technical expertise on specific projects such as development of Bills of Quantities (BoQ), architectural design and quality assurance but assisting the section through the process of contract development, bidding and contract management.
He/she guarantees that approved and agreed upon construction projects are realized according to approved construction size and standards, that construction works are implemented in time and available budget and that construction guidelines, procedures and quality standards and local construction laws are adhered to.
He/she ensures the construction project information flow among all stakeholders.
He/she works together with country/regional programme planning responsible colleagues to ensure that construction parts are in accordance with construction regulations and standards in place.
How can you make a difference?
The key Responsibilities are:
A. Construction Projects in Juba and Zone Offices
1. Complete all on going construction projects in Juba Totto Chan and Lologo Compounds.
2. Prepare feasibility studies, designs and BoQ’s of all new constructions in Juba.
3. Prepare feasibility studies, designs and BoQ’s of all new constructions in Zonal Offices.
4. Identify relevant projects to help upgrade the Guest Houses in Juba Classique, Naivasha and White Nile compound.
5. Identify all relevant Security Enhancement projects in Juba Totto Chan, Lologo and all Ware Houses.
B. Feasibility Studies of any New Construction Project
1. Feasibility Studies of the set up of New UNICEF Compounds in Field Offices as required.
2. Preparation of TOR’a and BoQ’s for the set up of all new Field Offices.
3. Feasibility studies of all Field Offices to access their Security requirements to make them MOSS Compliant.
4. Provide asset replacement costs for existing buildings in Juba and Field Offices
5. Redesign Juba Totto Chan Compound to ensure sufficient capacity for office accommodation, parking for official vehicles, staff and visitors.
C. Design and Construction of Warehouses and Storage Facilities for programme supplies
1. Provide new designs for Temperature Controlled Warehouses or redesign existing warehouses into Temperature Controlled Warehouses in South Sudan Zonal Offices.
2. Supervise the Construction of the Temperature Controlled Warehouses in South Sudan
3. Supervise the Construction of Rub Halls in Juba and in all Field Offices as required.
4. Prepare the TOR and BoQ’s for the renovation of warehouses in Juba and the Field Offices.
D. Production of TOR’s, Architectural Drawings and Bill of Quantities:
1. Prepare TOR’s for all intended Construction Works.
2. Provide adequate Designs and BoQ’s for all intended in house Construction works.
3. Supervise Designs and BoQ’s submitted by external consultants for intended construction works for UNICEF South Sudan.
E. Monitor and supervise of Construction Projects for Operations and Programme
1. Supervise all construction works in Juba and the Zone Offices.
2. Certify all completed works for payment to be effected.
3. Provide project monitoring and supervision on a periodic basis, reporting to relevant sections timely.
4. Deploy cost saving mechanisms in construction to ensure UNICEF resources are optimized
5. Provide progress reports and feedback through written reports on projects, attendance in monthly ECMT and other relevant forums.
F. Technical Support to Projects, Innovations, Greening and Construction activities
1. Conduct feasibility studies of all intended technical and construction projects in Juba and all Zonal Offices.
2. Support all program sections in executing their technical and construction works. This should include TOR’s, BOQ’s and Designs for such works.
3. Leads the office in developing concepts, writing technical proposals, and executing technical projects.
4. Supervise technical projects ensuring project scope, timelines and costs are on track, reporting any deviations to Responsible Officers timely.
5. Lead in Greening initiatives in the office, providing accurate carbon data on quarterly basis.
6. Provide technical supervision and continuous management of the Solar Installation project ensuring intended benefits are sustained over time.
G. Technical and advisory support and guidance to UNICEF South Sudan
1. Provide technical guidance, advice and support to Management, Sections and Zonal Offices on projects, innovations, technical issues based on proven scientific approaches and current project management practice.
2. Provide technical guidance, analysis, and assessments to continuing and new installations / projects, ensuring UNICEF sustains value for money in its operations.
3. Track capital investments and provide timely advice and guidance on replacement, additions, decommissioning, providing annual capital replacement and investment plans.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
The Construction Engineer must have conducted similar designs and construction works in the past 5 years in Sub-Sahara Africa or similar developing countries.
Expected background and Experience
1. Advanced university degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, Architecture or other relevant technical area
2. Five years of progressively professional work experience at national and international levels in field supervision relevant to construction, rehabilitation and maintenance programme and contract management, technical studies, construction technologies and architectural building.
3. Experience working in the UN or other international development organization is an asset. Background/familiarity with Emergency is an asset.
4. Fluency in English is required and knowledge of a second UN language is an asset.
5. Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
6. Ability to operate computer Microsoft office programs (MS Word, Excel, Power Point and Access)
7. The incumbent shall also have good experience in working with design software such as CAD.
8. Experience in working with governments and non governmental organisations will be desirable
The selected applicant would be expected to take up the assignment immediately.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: Nov 22 2019 E. Africa Standard Time
Application close: Dec 06 2019 E. Africa Standard Time
Back to list Refer a friend
Send me jobs like these
We will email you new jobs that match this search.
Ok, we will send you jobs like this.
Oops! Please check your email for errors!
Subscribe Recaptcha Privacy agreement
Closes Dec 06 2019
Construction Engineer- P3 – Temporary Appointment – Juba – South Sudan – Post#00112112 in South Sudan
Under the direct supervision of the Administrative Manager, P-4, the Construction Engineer will be responsible for the overall oversight of construction projects and contracts with the South Sudan Country Office for the Operations section, providing not only technical expertise on specific projects such as development of Bills of Quantities (BoQ), architectural design and quality assurance but assisting the section through the process of contract development, bidding and contract management. He/she guarantees that approved and agreed upon construction projects are realized according to approved construction size and standards, that construction works are implemented in time and available budget and that construction guidelines, procedures and quality standards and local construction laws are adhered to. He/she ensures the construction project information flow among all stakeholders. He/she workss together with country/regional programme planning responsible colleagues to ensure that construction parts are in accordance with construction regulations and standards in place.
Powered by PageUp
Full site © 2019 unicef