Under the supervision of the State Team Lead, the Technical Officer will assist in materials development, trainings and continuous professional development of primary school teachers/Integrated Qur’anic School (IQS) Facilitators in the assigned states. Working closely with the Output 1 Lead, and other technical staff, the Technical Officers will ensure effective planning, delivery and documentation of program interventions.
Essential Job Functions, Duties and responsibilities:
- Support review, development and production of literacy materials to improve learning outcomes, including but not limited to: effective teacher training modules, assessment, monitoring, supplementary materials, mentoring/coaching guide and Community of Practice Guide.
- Support the development of strategies to improve effective teacher training, assessment, monitoring and mentoring/coaching system.
- Assist in coordinating and/or facilitating Hausa language, English and math curriculum enrichment efforts.
- Assist in development and implementation of standards, indicators of success, and benchmarks.
- Assist to coordinate the implementation of all teacher professional development workshops, Community of Practice meeting and implementation of all Master trainers’ workshops at state level.
- Liaise with government agencies and schools to maximize opportunity for enabling policy, sustainability and ownership for reading and numeracy intervention in the state.
- Ensure availability of adequate teaching and learning materials and resources in schools to enhance learning outcomes.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Sound knowledge of reading & literacy programs in Nigeria. Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding formative learning processes. Proficient writing and verbal communication skills. Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain good working relationship with staff and other partners. Excellent written and oral communication skills, especially in terms of reporting. Relevant computer software and internet skills (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office). Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English and Hausa language. Ability to travel in Nigeria minimum of 50%.
Minimum requirement standards:
- Bachelor’s Degree in education with a concentration in early grade reading, literacy, language acquisition and non-formal education or related field. At least 5 years’ experience in education reform with a focus on primary education sector work in language acquisition and/or child literacy or reading especially in Hausa Language. Certification as reading/literacy specialist preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work with government, partners and/or local government structures and school settings.
- Proven expertise in mother tongue (L1), early grade reading instruction and/or assessment and reading material development, preferably in Hausa Language.
- Significant experience in teacher training and support for development, production and distribution of instructional materials, including but not limited to: effective teacher training modules, assessment and/or supplementary materials.
- Demonstrable knowledge of research-based best practices in content-area reading skills and strategies and literacy instruction.
- Experience/preparation in modeling teaching, observing teachers, and providing non-judgmental feedback.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- Job City Abuja, Nigeria