NGO Forum External Engagement & Communications Advisor
You will report to the NGO Forum Secretariat Director. You will work closely with the member NGOs. We would like you to start on 1st January 2020.
The South Sudan NGO Secretariat coordinates the efforts of the NGO Steering Committee as voted representatives of the South Sudan NGO Forum, which has 116 international NGOs and 269 national NGOs in 2019. The NGO Secretariat exists for the purpose of coordination, information sharing, advocacy, policy/position paper production, government/donor/UN engagement and engagement on other vital issues regarding humanitarian relief, recovery and development.
The NGO Secretariat External Engagement and Communications Advisor leads in giving visibility to work of the NGO Forum works well as support external engagements locally, regionally and internationally. This position is considered to be part of the senior management team with emphasis on improving the NGO Forum’s profile, cognisant of the changing operating environment in South Sudan.
The Advisor also has a responsibility of streamlining communications through an action plan and producing a range of information and communications products (e.g. press kits, press releases, feature articles, speeches, booklets, brochures, backgrounders, audio-visual materials, radio spot programmes etc.). The External Engagement and Communications Advisor will also work alongside the Information Manager to compile and design NGO Forum publications, such as the Annual Report and e-bulletins, establish internal information sharing systems and provide recommendations for internal Secretariat information and communications management.
Further, the External Engagement and Communications Adviser will represent the NGO Forum, as necessary, at programmatic platforms that bring together other stakeholders on behalf of membership.
You will be responsible for:
Strategy design, development and implementation
· Lead the design, development and implementation of the NGO Forum communications strategy including NGO Forum weekly and monthly bulletins, the social media strategy and the NGO Forum information management strategy based on membership priorities and feedback.
· Regularly track and evaluate matrices of success and adapt strategies to grow and improve outreach results over time.
· Develop and implement, with the Information Manager, an “Information and Communications Pack” for the NGO Forum, for new members of the NGO Forum and relevant stakeholders in order to ensure that appropriate information and visibility is communicated about the NGO Forum.
· With the Secretariat Director, develop an annual budget and operation plan for communications initiatives.
External communications and engagement:
· Build strategic partnerships to maximize the NGO Forum’s communications impact, consolidating and building upon outreach efforts and manage NGO Forum’s proactive relations with global media.
· Ensure the consistency of the NGO Forum’s public position through communications across media and digital platforms including NGO Forum website, Relief web, Twitter, Facebook and others.
· Document and share lessons learnt and the best practices for humanitarian and development assistance delivery in South Sudan.
· Develop innovative solutions to enhance the NGO Forum’s visibility, online presence and impact on the humanitarian and development assistance delivery in South Sudan. This includes identifying and establishing relationships with actors relevant to NGO Forum activities (global and regional NGO Forum networks, training agencies, global humanitarian and development platforms etc.).
· Pro-actively reach out to, develop and manage linkages with other humanitarian networks including UNOCHA’s 5Ws, sectoral clusters, other capacity building organisations etc.
· Establish and maintain relationships with key journalists
· Identify and create media opportunities
· As appropriate, respond to media enquiries in consultation with the Secretariat Director
· Support the Secretariat Director in writing media releases and undertake media monitoring
· Oversee the NGO Forum’s external messaging and key messages
· Provide media and communications advice to members
· Manage and maintain the media distribution list
Quality assurance and content management
· Working with Information Manager to ensure that information and communications products released by the NGO Secretariat maintain high-quality standards; that reports are clear, objective, based on comprehensive data and comply with relevant professional requirements.
· Monitor and analyse current events, public opinion and press, identify issues and trends and advise the Secretariat Director and the Steering Committees on appropriate action/responses.
· Working with Information Manager, produce specific types (e.g. print, broadcast, etc.) of information and communications products (e.g. press kits, press releases, feature articles, speeches, booklets, brochures, backgrounders, audio-visual materials, radio spot programs, newsletters etc.) appropriate to the NGO Forum’s work.
· Lead in promoting media coverage (e.g. press conferences, press releases, interviews, press seminars and other special activities) of priority issues and/or major events whenever required by the Secretariat, Forum Members or the Steering Committees.
· Manage the content development and communications outreach for NGO Forum annual events such as the Annual NNGO Expo, Annual Country Directors and National Directors meetings, World Humanitarian Day etc.
· Disseminate NGO Forum public information materials and consult with the press and public on approach/story angle and other information requests, undertake appropriate follow up action and report on the impact of coverage.
Internal communications coordination, capacity building, technical and programmatic support:
· Work with Secretariat Director and Programme Manager to draft the NGO Forum Proposals, donor reports and NGO Forum Annual Reports.
· Analyse the NGO Secretariat and the NGO Forum’s communications systems and institute relevant adjustments/changes to strengthen them.
· Represent the NGO Forum externally and provide programmatic and technical support as appropriate.
· Provide technical support and trainings to the NGO Secretariat team members within areas of specialisation as required e.g. effective team communications, client handling and customer care.
· Mentor and support the development of NGO Forum members’ communications and information team.
· Provide induction and briefing to all new staff and new directors of member organisations as required.
· Support the Programme Manager in developing new programs to support the strategic direction of the NGO Forum.
· Create and manage long-term goals together with the NGO Forum’s senior management team.
· Perform other related duties as requested by the NGO Secretariat Director.
· Co-chair the NGO Form Communication Working Group.
Your skills and experience will include:
Minimum five years of progressive experience in public information, journalism, international relations, public administration, marketing or related area.
Programme experience with the United Nations Agencies, NGOs and/or Donor agencies preferably including work in fragile environments is essential.
Master’s degree in journalism, communications, information management, political or social sciences or related area.
Demonstrated interpersonal, team working and management skills.
Track record of producing various types of communications and information products including reviewing/editing reports, producing PowerPoint presentations, developing one-page memos, leaflets, web-based content, position papers, press statements and managing the production of web pages, particularly Drupal application.
Demonstrated improvements in programs or services including taking calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinking ”outside the box”, showing an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things.
Documented skills in online information management, database design, data analysis, graphic design, social media, print media and visual/audio media management.
Significant understanding of complex relationships between NGOs, governments, and UN agencies in South Sudan.
Strong sense of integrity; able to handle sensitive information with professionalism and confidentiality.
Self-starter; able to champion new initiatives and influence decision-makers
Thinks strategically and is action-oriented.
Strong analysis and problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment.
Communicates effectively with a diverse set of governmental and non-governmental stakeholders.
Demonstrated skills in MS Office, Google apps, Adobe Creative Suite, ArcGIS/QGIS an advantage.
Fluency in written and spoken English.
Flexibility, multi-tasking and teamwork.
Previous work experience in the region and preferably Sudan/South Sudan.
You can cancel email alerts at any time.
NGO Forum Secretariat Security Focal Point – South Sudan
NGO Forum Secretariat Security Information Advisor – South Sudan
NGO Forum Secretariat Information Advisor – South Sudan