UNICEF Caracas, Venezuela
Job no: 528346
Position type: Fixed Term Appointment
Division/Equivalent: Latin America and Caribbean Regional Off
Department/Office: Caracas, Venezuela
Categories: Communication / External Relations, Support: Communication, G-6
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a fair chance
The socio-economic and political crisis in Venezuela has further deteriorated in 2019 and led to growing humanitarian needs.
UNICEF is one of the UN agencies with the largest operational footprint in Venezuela. As part of the UN Venezuela Scale-Up Strategy, UNICEF has revised its Country Programme Document with a Scale-up Plan which is expanding the scope and reach of its cooperation to address emerging needs of children and women, downstream including enhancing strategies, field presence and service delivery activities.
In Venezuela, many people use digital media rather than mainstream media as their primary source of information. Outside Venezuela, top influencers with interest in the country prefer social media platforms to convey their messages. This local position will ensure UNICEF is equipped to be part of this ongoing online conversation on Venezuela and shape the narrative from an economic and political to a humanitarian perspective, with a strong focus on children´s rights.
How can you make a difference?
Assists in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating an advocacy and communication strategy to get children’s and women’s issues into the public domain, strengthen political will in support of UNICEF’s mission and objectives in the country, and enhance the organization’s credibility and brand.
The Communication Associate works in close collaboration with a range of staff in the CO, external partners and agency counterparts in support of communication design and delivery. S/He provides regular feedback on the status of projects through monitoring milestones and advises on improvements to keep activities on track.
1. Support the management of UNICEF’s digital and social media strategies
- The Communication Associate will be responsible for assisting in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating an advocacy & communication strategy to get children’s and women’s issues into the public domain, strengthen political will in support of UNICEF’s mission and objectives in the country, and enhance the organization’s credibility and brand.
- Ensure that the production of communication products and materials is timely executed and followed up to support country communication strategy, regional and global campaigns and priorities and to support resource mobilization as set out in the work plan.
- Effective and timely professional assistance towards development of strategies in social media outreach and public engagement for the messages and campaigns of UNICEF in Venezuela.
- Update the content of UNICEF’s presences in Venezuela in digital media channels.
- Support to plan and craft social media posts for UNICEF’s social media channels: Facebook, Twitter, lnstagram, YouTube and other channels that may be created.
- Interact with users of social media of UNICEF in Venezuela and assists them on their needs for information of UNICEF´s operational aspects on a daily basis.
- Produce images, infographics and basic video editing on UNICEF’s actions to be published on UNICEF’s Venezuela social media.
- Liaise with the Digital Regional and Global focal point to ensure synergies between communication and/or advocacy efforts and fundraising in every relevant and applicable instance.
- The efficiency and effectiveness of support provided ensures that strong digital activations are provided to meet the organization’s needs in terms of public advocacy, branding and fundraising.
2. Support to monitoring and reporting of CO results.
- Support to monitoring and reporting of CO results.
- Ensure that baselines are established against which the achievement of objectives of the Communication Strategy are regularly evaluated; analysis is undertaken to continuously improve the effectiveness of communication strategy, approach and activities; results and reports are prepared and shared on a timely basis.
- Prepare monitoring and reporting information for supervisor on agreed performance indicators to drive more efficient management and accountability for results.
3. Support to monitoring online mentions and actions
- Ensure that mentions about UNICEF’s Brand and UNICEF’s initiatives are monitored on digital media.
- Measure the performance of presence of UNICEF Venezuela in digital media, evaluates the performance and suggests new approaches when needed.
- Listen to discussions on UNICEF and on issues and campaigns of interest of the organization in social media, both nationally and internationally.
- Contributes to social media monitoring provided by partners.
- Preparing monitoring and reporting information for supervisor and team on agreed performance indicators to drive more efficient management and accountability for results.
4. Support to knowledge management and capacity building
- Research, analyzes, verifies and synthesizes information on best practices and lessons learnt to support knowledge development and capacity building on digital communication.
- Train programme staff, specially at the FO level, on the best way to convey UNICEF´s messages.
- Supports capacity development activities related to digital communication development by preparing training materials and participating in exercises.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have Commitment
- Education:Completion of secondary education. University degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field will be considered an asset.
- Experience:Six-years of progressively responsible experience in communication, print and broadcast media, or interactive digital media. Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset.
- Language Requirements:Fluency in English and Spanish is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate Ethic
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: Dec 03 2019 Venezuela Standard Time
Application close: Dec 15 2019 Venezuela Standard Time
Back to list Refer a friend
Send me jobs like these
We will email you new jobs that match this search.
Ok, we will send you jobs like this.
Oops! Please check your email for errors!
Subscribe Recaptcha Privacy agreement
Closes Dec 15 2019
Communication Associate (Digital), GS-6, Caracas, Venezuela #110448 in Venezuela
The role of the incumbent of this post will be key in the achievement of the Communication and Public Advocacy Strategy goals by providing technical support to the implementation of digital and social media strategies. In this capacity, the need to project the image of a credible and reliable service provider is imperative to quality of process delivery, and the impact of work directly reflects on the overall reputation of the team in terms of responsiveness to client needs and quality of process execution.
Powered by PageUp
Full site © 2019 unicef