Chemonics seeks a Chief of Party for the anticipated, USAID-funded Tusome Education Reading Activity Follow-On in Kenya. The purpose of the activity is to achieve improved reading outcomes for pupils in grades 1 through 3 and support Kenyan student enrollment, attendance and retention. The Chief of Party will supervise all activities related to this program and have overall responsibility for the successful performance of the technical assistance team. The COP shall provide strategic leadership and bear primary responsibility for all administrative requirements of the contract, ensuring that the quarterly key performance indicators, objectives, and deliverables for the project are met. They will be responsible for ensuring the project follows USAID regulations, the contract, and Chemonics policies. The COP will be the official representative of the contractor and be primarily responsible for liaising with high-level USAID and government officials, and forging alliances with a myriad of businesses, organizations and stakeholders and managing multiple offices. This position will be based in Kenya. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide overall direction, oversight, and implementation of activities in compliance with USAID regulations and Chemonics policies and procedures
- Serve as the primary liaison with USAID on strategic, managerial, and technical matters
- Identify issues and risks related to program implementation in a timely manner, suggest appropriate program adjustments, and offer solutions in a complex development environment
- Ensure quality control and overall responsiveness of technical assistance provided under the contract, including targeted results and deliverables
- Represent Chemonics to USAID, host government counterparts, private sector associations, civil society organizations, and other key stakeholders
- Lead efforts to collaborate and coordinate with other USAID projects in county, local organizations, national and local government entities, and other key stakeholders
- Ensure that relevant, productive, and complementary activities are coordinated and leveraged effectively
- Supervise and provide guidance to senior technical staff
- Oversee work planning, performance management, and strategic communications
- PhD or equivalent experience in education, public policy, management and administration, social science or related and relevant field; a focus on education policy, program/project management, curriculum and bilingual education
- Proven experience as a chief of party or equivalent leadership position administering large-scale USAID programs valued at $25 million with skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, and budgeting is required
- Demonstrated ability to interact professionally with a wide range of stakeholders (i.e., host government counterparts, local governments, private sector, NGOs, and other donors) to promote and leverage technical assistance efforts
- Minimum ten years of progressively responsible experience in senior program management implementing and leading donor-funded international development activities
- Minimum five years of experience in the education sector in East or Southern Africa regions
- Evidence of strong communication skills, both oral and written, to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Proficiency in written and spoken English required
Please apply by June 21, 2023, using the link. Early applications encouraged. No telephone inquiries, please.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data.
Chemonics International is monitoring COVID-19 activity around the world, the health and wellbeing of our staff is of the utmost importance to us.