Chief Of Party
10 Jan 2020
This position is contingent upon grant acquisition and donor approval of candidate.
Action Against Hunger is a global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger. We save the lives of malnourished children. We ensure families can access clean water, food, training, and health care. We enable entire communities to be free from hunger. With more than 7,600 staff in over 45 countries, we have reached over 20 million people with funding over US$425M and responded to 37 emergencies in 2018..
Program / Department Summary
Action Against Hunger has been operational in Mali since 1996 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sector strategy where nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience. Main objective of the country program is to minimize hunger consequences and ensure nutritional security, while responding to emergency needs throughout the country. With central office in Bamako, Action Against Hunger runs programs (nutrition, WASH, FSL, advocacy) in Northern Mali as well as an emergency roving team that can intervene throughout the country. Our main donors and partners in Mali include USAID/OFDA, WFP, UNICEF, SIDA, SDC, ECHO, GIZ, bilateral donors and private foundations.
Action Against Hunger intends to pursue the anticipated USAID Feed the Future (FtF) project in Mali. The FtF activities will support and achieve all three Mali Global Food Security Strategy (GFSS) objectives: (i) inclusive and sustainable agriculture-led growth; (ii) increased resilience of people and communities to economic, health and climate shocks; and (iii) improved nutrition and WASH status, especially of women, adolescent girls and children. The FtF activities will strengthen the resilience of targeted populations through inclusive, sustainable and nutrition-sensitive agricultural-led economic growth.
General Position Summary
The CoP will provide overall leadership, management and strategic vision to the implementation of the Feed the Future program, to ensure that the program meets its targets and deliverables on-time and within budget. The CoP will supervise program staff and ensure accountability to Action Against Hunger policies and donor rules and regulations. S/he will be the primary program representative to donors, relevant government entities, partners, other implementers and stakeholders.
Key activities in your role will include
Strategy & Vision
- Lead the development of a vision and strategy for the program shared with program team and key stakeholders.
- Play an active role in identifying and developing new initiatives that foster and/or improve strategic objectives of the program and the country office.
- Oversee program start-up, management and administration of teams across various field locations.
- Lead the development of detailed implementation plans, flowing from annual strategic work-plans, and ensure the delivery of the same.
- Lead the socialization of the program with Government of Mali stakeholders, ensuring necessary approvals and collaboration as required.
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
- Provide managerial and programmatic oversight to partners and sub-grantee(s).
- Document processes and achievements to ensure best practices are captured and disseminated. This will include the continual re-evaluation of program activities and information, with resulting activity adjustments in keeping with new insights.
- Produce written reports on program activities, capturing the impacts of activities.
- Oversee efforts to design effective M&E systems for the program, and linkages with internal M&E systems.
- Create and follow effective stakeholder management plans, ensuring sound and proactive communications with Action Against Hunger Mali, partner organizations, Action Against Hunger headquarters, USAID, Government of Mali authorities, and colleague agencies.
- Conduct frequent field visits to all project sites – spend up to 30% of time in the field.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Supervise and manage all program staff to ensure day-to-day activities are implemented in a coordinated fashion according to schedule, budget and quality.
- Supervise and manage all program partnerships to ensure sound coordination in the context of an overall program strategic and resilience-building framework.
- Manage and help with the recruitment, orientation, professional development and ongoing training of staff to ensure they are of the quality and technical capacity necessary to ensure the successful implementation of activities.
Finance & Compliance Management
- In collaboration with the country program’s operations and finance departments, ensure proper financial management, procurement, administration, human resources and logistics (including transport, warehousing and asset management) needs of the program are conducted within Action Against Hunger’s policy and with the maximum benefit to the program.
- Monitor adherence to grant agreement, Action Against Hunger’s policies and procedures and relevant external rules and regulations, including those of the government of Mali.
Influence & Representation
- Liaise with and represent program to USAID and other cooperating sponsors and stakeholders
- Represent Action Against Hunger at government, donor, NGO and other relevant events, in close coordination with the Country Director.
- Ensure close coordination and information sharing with consortium partners, sub-grantees, local government and other implementers, as well as with other Action Against Hunger programs.
- Establish and maintain relationships with communities and local government.
- Work closely with the country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that promote the safety and security of all team members.
- Ensure that programs are designed and implemented with a clear analysis and understanding of security.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Action Against Hunger as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Action Against Hunger team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
National and international team members working on the program, as well as partnerships with international and national program partners. The number of direct and indirect reports is to be determined.
Reports Directly To: Country Director
Works Directly With: Deputy Country Director, finance and operations teams, HQ Regional Program Team, HQ Technical Support Unit
Do you meet the profile required criteria?
Knowledge and Experience
- MA/S or equivalent in agriculture, international development, natural resource management, social sciences, or other relevant field.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of significant international experience including Chief of Party experience with agricultural development activities and knowledge of resilience programming.
- At least five years of field-based work in conflict-affected and/or fragile contexts.
- Demonstrated ability to be collaborative across activities while utilizing strong communication and interpersonal skills, with evidence of the ability to productively interact with a wide range and levels of organizations (government, private sector, other activities, NGOs);
- Demonstrated capacity to manage complex teams, including problem solving skills, and capacity to meet deadlines and deliver quality deliverables to meet objectives; and
- Strong understanding of USAID compliance issues.
- Professional French and English proficiency required with strong oral and written skills.
- Experience in Mali or the Sahel region is preferred.
The successful CoP will combine exceptional management skills and experience in maintaining donor and partner relationships. S/he will have an outstanding ability to develop, implement and manage innovative programs within the current and future program structure of Action Against Hunger in the region. S/he will also have proven experience with cross-cultural teams and capacity building, individual staff development, and strong mentoring skills. Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem solving and simultaneous attention to detail and strategic vision are essential. The most successful Action Against Hunger staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
Our remuneration package:
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The CoP is based in Bamako, Mali, with time spent in field locations in Mali. This is an accompanied position. The position is entitled to individual housing and is eligible for R&R. Moreover, Action Against Hunger values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These benefits include but are not limited to:
- Salary : In accordance with Action Against Hunger’s compensation grid.
- Health Insurance
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- Context allowance
- Training opportunities
- For an all-inclusive list of benefits, check the Action Against Hunger Website.
Action Against Hunger team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Action Against Hunger’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.