UNESCO OREALC Santiago
Post Number : 3CLED0023RP
Grade : P-4
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Santiago
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 12-DEC-2019
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
UNESCO is the United Nations specialized agency entrusted to lead the Global Education Agenda 2030 through Sustainable Development Goal 4 (SDG4) within the framework of the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development. The UNESCO Regional Bureau of Education for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) based in Santiago de Chile is responsible for leading and coordinating the formulation and implementation of E2030 region programme and is refocusing its strategies and programmes to respond to emerging education needs and trends in the region in support of Member States’ efforts towards achieving the ambitious goal of equitable and inclusive quality education and learning opportunities for all by 2030 .
In this connection, under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED) and the direct supervision of the Director of Bureau, the incumbent will lead and manage a functional pillar of the regional education programme E2030 namely, the Unit on Educational Planning, Management – which represents a key working area in a region characterized by Middle-Income Countries (MICs) and education reform processes.
The expected results of the work of the incumbent are related to the products and impact of interventions in education policies, practices, monitoring and evaluation (M&E), as well as provision of high-level advisory services. He/she will also ensure the delivery of high quality outputs and outcomes under the responsibility of the Unit. Equally importance is a strategic result concerning the mobilization and enhancement of partnerships with institutions and regional groupings, line Ministries, CSOs, the private sector, Foundations and individual experts at the regional and national levels.
Concretely, the Chief of Unit will be expected to perform the following essential responsibilities:
- Lead UNESCO´s analytical work on the state of education in the region and its progress related to the E-2030 goals, in coordination with the UNESCO Institute of Statistics (UIS) and the International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP).
- Formulate, coordinate and lead UNESCO’s response to the needs of Member States in the areas of educational planning, management and sector analysis, including M&E, education statistics, EMIS and its use and impact on education coverage and quality; education finance, evaluation of education systems, policies and programmes, sectoral reviews and analyses of issues across the various sectors and sub-sectors that form part of the national education systems.
- Supervise, manage and lead a multi-disciplinary team of staff and consultants to respond in a timely and effective manner to the requirements of Member States, field offices and development partners, on a demand-driven basis and through a sound Results Based Management approach.
- Coordinate and ensure timely, high quality synergies with other UNESCO thematic areas such as global citizenship education, education for sustainable development, TVET, inclusive education, HIV and AIDS education, education for a culture of peace, etc.
- Contribute substantively and strategically to the design, management, implementation and M&E of the regional education programme E2030, working in tandem with other sections in the Bureau, ensuring harmonization with the Bureau’s workplan, in line with the C/5 and C/4, and especially in line with the SDGs and other post-2015 developments.
- Contribute to the formulation and updating of UNESCO´s regional and country strategies.
- Contribute to the formulation and implementation of a comprehensive communication and resource mobilisation strategy with particular reference to the assets, potential and outreach of the Unit under his/her supervision.
- Support UNESCO’s Field Offices in the region in joint programme, delivery and capacity development of staff.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
Building partnerships (M)
Driving and managing change (M)
Leading and empowering others (M)
Making quality decisions (M)
Managing performance (M)
Strategic thinking (M)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework .
- Advanced University degree (Masters or equivalent) in Education, Economics, Education Planning or related fields.
- A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience in the field of educational planning, management and/or sector analysis, of which at least 3 years acquired at the international level.
- Proven experience in formulating and monitoring national education plans, policies and strategies, education sector analyses, policy simulation models, Sector-Wide Approach programmes (SWAp) and/or resource projections.
- Proven experience in development, implementation and evaluation of programmes and projects related to educational planning, management and/or sectoral analysis.
Skills and competencies
- Excellent data analysis skills.
- Demonstrated ability to draft high quality, clear, concise documents and reports.
- Excellent coordination, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated fund raising and resource mobilization skills.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English. Good knowledge of Spanish.
- Advanced University degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in Education, Economics, Education Planning or related fields.
- Experience within the UN system or other international organization.
- Practical knowledge of simulation models and EMIS.
- Professional experience in the LAC region.
Skills and competencies
- Capacity to build, develop and enhance partnerships and collaborate with a range of partners and to ensure high level coordination and cooperation among staff and stakeholders.
- Good knowledge of French.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website and UNESCO’s career website .
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment
UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution ( last update ) and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.