Associate Project Support Officer
Operations and Support Section, PCT Information Systems Division, PCT Services Department, Patents and Technology Sector
Contract Duration: 1 year *
Duty Station: CH-Geneva
Publication Date: 06-Dec-2019
Application Deadline: 06-Jan-2020, 10:59:00 PM
IMPORTANT NOTICE: – The deadline for applications is indicated in local date and time.
– This post is a project post.
1. Organizational Context
The post is located in the Operations and Support Section of the PCT Information Systems (PCTIS) Division. The Division collaborates with customers, third party suppliers and infrastructure teams and end users. The Section implements the service management framework for the portfolio of business applications supporting the PCT, a highly successful patent filing treaty. The Section coordinates with the application development teams, infrastructure teams and end users. It delivers service desk, information architecture, release and deployment coordination and systems operation services to the PCT.
WIPO/PCT is embarking on a large IT transformation, involving projects such as IT infrastructure migrations, technical and organizational transformations and architecture review, namely the Resilient and Secure Platform (RSP) program.
The main role of the incumbent is to support RSP projects managers in their daily activities, applying his/her knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to project activities to meet identified business needs. S/he will collaborate with the project managers to ensure that the projects are within the agreed parameters of cost, timescales, and quality, as well as provide support to the RSP Program Manager.
The incumbent works under the supervision of the designated Project Manager in the Operations and Support Section.
2. Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform the following principal duties:
- Contribute to the monitoring of specific aspects of project and program implementation, identify problems, propose actions to expedite project and service delivery, and identify and track follow-up actions.
- Assist the RSP project managers in preparing and maintaining realistic project schedules and quality plans and track all activities against them.
- Ensure selected project management methodology and standards are clearly defined and used throughout the project.
- Ensure project and program documentation is consistently created, updated and made available to stakeholders.
- Contribute to the preparation of various written reports, as may be needed, including drafting, reviewing and revising sections or portions of project assessment documents, background papers, project and budget revisions, as well as contribute to the workplan exercises of the Division.
- Provide administrative and substantive support to project and program meetings, such as the preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, writing meeting minutes etc.
- Perform other related duties as required.
First-level university degree in business administration, finance, human resources management, information technology, computer science or a related discipline.
Certification in project management, e.g. PRINCE2, Agile or PMI.
Certification in Program Management methodology (MSP).
At least three years of relevant professional experience, including experience in supporting the management of projects with direct business impact, by using industry standard project management methodologies, tools, and project planning and control techniques, including budget control. An advanced university degree in one of the aforementioned disciplines may be accepted in lieu of two years of experience.
Experience working with medium scale, multi-functional IT projects / programs.
Experience with international IP registration systems.
Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English.
Knowledge of other PCT publication languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish).
Job Related Competencies
Skills in project planning, including the ability to analyze, plan, execute and evaluate work to time, cost and quality targets, including the assessment and evaluation of risk.
Ability to anticipate and evaluate impact of action on dependencies and take appropriate action.
Ability to establish priorities and plan assigned work.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Ability to contribute to an efficient and transparent Project and Program Office environment through the establishment of processes, toolkits and documentation.
Competent user of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and the internet.
4. Organizational Competencies
- Communicating effectively.
- Showing team spirit.
- Demonstrating integrity.
- Valuing diversity.
- Producing results.
- Showing service orientation.
- Seeing the big picture.
- Seeking change and innovation.
- Developing yourself and others.
5. Inform ation
Mobility: WIPO staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Director General and may be assigned to any activities, office or duty station of the Organization. Accordingly, the selected candidate may be required to move from time to time to new functions and/or to another duty station.
Total annual salary consists of a net annual salary (net of taxes and before medical insurance and pension fund deductions) in US dollars and a post adjustment. Please note that this estimate is for information only. The post adjustment multiplier (cost of living allowance) is variable and subject to change (increase or decrease) without notice. The figures quoted below are based on the November 2019 rate of 76.7%
Annual salary: $47,322
Post adjustment: $36,296
Total Salary: $83,618
Salaries and allowances are paid in Swiss francs at the official rate of exchange of the United Nations.
Please refer to WIPO’s Staff Regulation and Rules for detailed information concerning salaries, benefits and allowances.
- Initial period of one year, renewable, subject to funding and satisfactory performance. Fixed-term appointments granted for approved projects shall be for a period whose minimum and maximum duration are tied to the funding and terms of reference of the project. The overall duration of a fixed-term appointment for a project shall normally not exceed five years. Fixed-term appointments granted for approved projects shall not be converted to a permanent or continuing appointment .
Applications from qualified women as well as from qualified nationals of unrepresented Member States of WIPO and underrepresented geographical regions are encouraged. Please click on the following links for the list of unrepresented Member States and the list of underrepresented regions and the WIPO Member States in these regions.
The Organization reserves the right to make an appointment at a grade lower than that advertised.
By completing an application, candidates understand that any willful misrepresentation made on this web site, or on any other documents submitted to WIPO during the application, may result in disqualification from the recruitment process, or termination of employment with WIPO at a later date, if that employment resulted from such willful misrepresentations.
In the event that your candidature is shortlisted, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of an identification and of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WIPO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually.
Additional testing/interviewing may be used as a form of screening. Initial appointment is subject to satisfactory professional references.
Additional background checks may be required.