Vacancy Announcement No: UPU/19/G5/FT-C/270
Type of contract Fixed-term (Core) Appointment
Duration: Three years
Publication Date: 19 November 2019
Application Deadline: 1 January 2020
Organizational Unit: Development and Cooperation Directorate (DCDEV)
Programme « Latin America/Caribbean and Cooperation Methods »
Duty Station: Bern Switzerland
Scheduled date for taking up appointment: As soon as possible
This is a vacancy in the General Service category for which local recruitment procedures apply in accordance with the Staff Regulations of the International Bureau of the Universal Postal Union. In this regard, vacancies in the General Service category shall be filled by recruitment of candidates residing as near to the headquarters of the Union as possible. Where this is not possible, recruitment shall be made having regard to its financial implications. Candidates shall be solely responsible for any travel or other expenses incurred in order to participate in the recruitment process or, upon selection, take up the appointment. Staff members subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances and benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
With its 192 member countries, the Universal Postal Union (UPU), a specialized agency of the United Nations, is the primary forum for cooperation between postal sector players. It helps to ensure a truly universal network of up-to-date products and services.
Assist the Coordinator (CO) and the team of Programme in their responsibilities related to the formulation, the implementation and monitoring of technical cooperation projects in the geographical region concerned; assist the regional project coordinators by managing their files and making information available to them, and perform routine administrative tasks.
- 1 Support associated with implementation of technical cooperation projects
a. Assist the CO-PM / ER with :
- Help to prepare the documents associated with the projects,
- Help to prepare reports on the financial status of projects and their implementation,
- Take part in the review of various financial documents according to the line manager’s instructions.
- Use of an internal IT tool for project management
b. External/internal consultants’ missions:
- Prepare recruitment files, as well as instructions and reference documents,
- Perform administrative and financial tasks (Cost estimates, insurance, travel formalities, end-of-mission accounts, etc.),
- Format and distribute meeting reports.
c. Perform administrative and financial tasks with respect to individual and/or group fellowships (monitoring of costs and bills and liaising with the UNDP).
d. Prepare request for purchasing equipment.
- 2. Traditional secretariat
- Manage the program’s flow of correspondence and draft certain documents according to IB’s standards.
- Make logistical arrangements for meetings (invitations, documents, meeting room reservations, etc.).
- Manage and keep up to date the program’s various databases (projects, budget information, statistical data shared with other directorates) and mail flows, etc.
- Translate on request internal notes and documents.
- Submit documents for translation, liaising with the various logistics services (production, dispatch, etc.).
- Locate, prepare and keep up to date the program’s documents.
- Manage and update information in the country sheets.
- File and archives paper and electronic documents.
- Give support to other programs within DCDEV.
- Work relating to the Regional Project Coordinators for the region concerned
- Manage the files relating to their missions to other countries and visits to the International Bureau (IB).
- Coordinate the logistical aspects of their missions.
QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS REQUIRED
Achieved secondary-level studies (CFC or similar) with secretarial or commercial or other related training essential. An experience in an international environment and/or in assistantship related to project management is an asset
A minimum of 4 years’ experience as an assistant. Experience in an international environment would be an asset.
1. Sound knowledge of documents presentation and formatting techniques.
- Excellent writing skills in English, French (and XXX language if necessary within the program).
- Sound knowledge of office software tools (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, MS-Project).
- Sound knowledge of project management tools and procedures.
- Sound knowledge of procedures for project financial management and reporting.
Skills and abilities / competencies:
1. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to organize and manage priorities.
- Adaptability and flexibility.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment, ethical awareness.
- Discretion and tact.
- Awareness of results and costs.
- Proficiency in Spanish is required
- Proficiency in English or French is required. Working knowledge in the other language is an asset.
Priority shall be given for an internal promotion.
Candidates might be considered for other similar posts (for a period not exceeding one year).
Candidates must ensure that they provide relevant contact details so that they can be contacted at any time, to prevent them from being excluded from the selection process
Annual salary: (Net of tax)
The conditions of service are governed by the Staff Regulations and Rules of the International Bureau of the Universal Postal Union.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form.
All applications must be received by the closing date as stated in the vacancy announcement.
All applicants employed by postal entities and applying for a vacant position in the Professional (P) or Senior (D) category must be recommended and submitted through the competent postal authority.
Applications not satisfying this criterion may not be considered.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
Applications from women and member states are particularly encouraged.
The UPU promotes diversity and work-life balance.
For further instructions regarding the online application process, please visit the UPU internet page at: http://www.upu.int/en/resources/vacancies
The UPU has a smoke-free environment