Assistant Community Development Officer
GIZ- Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #188/2019
As a provider of international cooperation services for sustainable development and international education work, GIZ – Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit – is dedicated to building a future worth living around the world.
We have over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including rural and economic development, education and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security. Together with our partners, we work to deliver flexible, effective and cost-effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions. Of our 18,260 employees in some 120 countries, almost 70 per cent are national personnel working in the field.
As a public-benefit German federal enterprise, we are committed to meeting our clients’ high standards with regard to transparency and accountability. German and European values are central to our work. The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) is our main commissioning party. European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and national governments benefit from our services, too.
In Ethiopia GIZ has been implementing development programmes on behalf of the German government for over 40 years jointly with our national partners. The focus of our work in the country is on vocational education, sustainable use of natural resources, land management and food security, biodiversity and forestry. Further programmes enhance the development of a sustainable textile sector and renewable energies.
GIZ-SURED (Sustainable Use of Rehabilitated Land for Economic Development 2018–2020) will be focusing on the economic development and sustainable utilization of rehabilitated areas. Against this background, GIZ Ethiopia is looking to recruit an Assistant Community Development Officer for SURED Project as specified:
Position: Assistant Community Development Officer
Remuneration: As per the GIZ scale
Application deadline: December 09, 2019
Required Candidates: One
Place of Work: Delomena Woreda, Bale zone
- Represent GIZ-SURED, particularly EU Support to GIZ-SURED program, at community level in their respective kebeles;
- Coordinate the implementation of project activities and make sure that project activities are implemented as per agreed standards and quality;
- Closely work with local government both at woreda and kebele level, especially with development agents
- Facilitate project implementation at woreda, kebele/community level;
- Undertake all activities under direct supervision of the respective senior cluster advisor;
- Provide periodic progress reports and updates.
- The task of the Assistant Community Development Officer will be to:
- Create awareness on ongoing project activities among pastoralist, farmers and agro-pastoralist communities at community level;
- Facilitate regular community meetings, dialogue to discuss issues pertinent to project implementation;
- Facilitate communication between communities, local partners, service providers and project staff;
- Mobilize and organize the community in collaboration with the Community Liaison Officers, woreda focal person and Development Agents (DAs) as appropriate for participation in planning, implementation and monitoring of project activities;
- Facilitate the selection of beneficiaries for different interventions in collaboration with Community Liaison Officers of FZS, woreda focal person, DAs and community representatives;
- Distribute and safeguard project material and equipment that is being delivered and used at the project implementation sites;
- Carry out the day-to-day supervision and monitoring of project activities at community level;
- Facilitate, in close cooperation with the Community Liaison Officers, the creation of local use agreements of natural resources and cooperation agreements for implementation of watershed-based rehabilitation measures;
- Carry out regular monitoring and supervision of project activities as per annual work plan under direction of the responsible cluster advisor;
- Participate in EU Support to GIZ-SURED Program meetings at community and woreda level
- Prepare monthly and quarterly work plans and activity-based reports in collaboration with the responsible senior cluster advisor and woreda focal person as required.
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Basic knowledge on project cycle management and community mobilization;
- Excellent communication skills to handle stakeholders with different interests, practice active listening as core principle of advice, capability of concise and coherent reporting along standard formats·
- Able to operate and work in multi-stakeholder teams;
- Solution orientation, good problem solving skills;
- Proven track record as trainer / moderator for practical sessions;
- English language skills, both written and oral;
- Oromiffa language skills are an absolute must
- Basic computer skills, especially Microsoft Office
- Valid motorbike driving license.
Qualifications and Experience:
- College degree in natural resource management, forestry and or other related field
- At least 3 years of professional experience in community development issues;
- NGO experience will be considered as an asset.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non- returnable recent CV Email: [email protected]
Please make sure you mention the vacancy number and position title ‘Assistant Community Development Officer #188/2019’ in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categories applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
- Job City Delomena Woreda, Bale zone, Oromia