The Norwegian Refugee Council in South Sudan is looking for two Area Managers to be based in Bor, Jonglie and Alek, Northern Bahr El Ghazal states. The Area Manager is a leadership position at NRC, and has the overall responsibility for their designated area. The Area Manager ensures that a high quality and cost effective programme develops in line with NRC’s mandate, policies and country specific strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leadership and line management for senior project staff and support functions (and Field Office Coordinators) in the area, and ensuring capacity building is provided to all staff in the area.
- Responsible for conflict-sensitive, emergency, development and integrated programming
- Development of Area level strategy, and provide area specific input on thematic strategies, Country Strategy and Plan of Action
- Ensue beneficiaries led design and implementation of projects and activities including beneficiary complaints mechanism are strengthened
- Organize grants opening and closure meetings at area level
- Implementation of projects (including master support budget and coordinating input for donor proposals and reports) in the area, in compliance with contractual commitments (i.e. quality, synergies, timeliness, use of resources).
- Assess needs, develop emergency response and implement response plans
- Ensure overall security and safety of staff in the area
Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- In liaison with the Programme Development unit ensure that systems for monitoring and evaluating project activities are developed and implemented
- Ensure that NRC’s finance procedures, guidelines and systems are properly implemented and are respected
- Ensure ongoing check and review mechanism in place for the control and stock system of goods, vehicles and transport coordination and make any necessary improvements
- Oversee and coordinate administrative and logistical requests made by the projects for optimal cost efficiency and utilisation of resources
- Represent NRC and network on area level; develop relationships with donor teams and agencies in the area, and contribute to securing sufficient finances for the programme
Coordinate with UN agencies, other (I)NGOs, local and state authorities, the targeted beneficiaries and donors and ensure maximum collaboration and cooperation with all key stakeholders
- Remain updated on all relevant political and Government policy issues related to the country operation in general and the area in particular
- Leads and manages staff training initiatives, structured and targeted capacity building efforts and increased nationalisation opportunities within NRC.
- Guided by guidelines and direction of NRC selection, capacity building and close monitoring of the Implementing Partners and ensure compliance
- Take lead in exploring funding opportunities for the Area Office
- Minimum first level university degree/bachelor’s degree in Project Management, or other relevant and related field.
- Minimum 4-5 years of experience from working as a Senior Project Manager, or as an Area Manager, with experience managing multiple projects, and accountability in a recovery context
- Previous experience managing budgets.
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Experience of operations management: Finance, Logistics, Human Resource and Administration
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Experience and skills in external engagement with Donors, Government and Local Authorities
- Experience in facilitating the capacity building efforts of diverse colleagues, including local partner agencies
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through training, mentoring and other formal and non-formal methods.
- Analytic and computer skills, including MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal; local language knowledge is an additional advantage
- Knowledge of the NGO operations and the dynamics of the humanitarian sector is an advantage
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Proven presentation, training, facilitation and Strategic planning skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organisational and team working skills
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Highly approachable, trustworthy and confidential
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environments
We can offer
***These vacancies are open to nationals of South Sudan only***
- Duty Station: 2 x vacant positions – Bor, Jonglie and Alek, Northern Bahr El Ghazal
- Contract Period: 12 months
- Salary/Benefits: Attractive compensation and benefits package
- NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and employees to check they have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
- Job City South Sudan