Air Operation Assistant
24 Dec 2019
24 Dec 2019
Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- Monitors that air operations activities are conducted in compliance with Air Tasking Orders (ATO’s), Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), UN Directive, Dept. of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) / Dept. of Field Support Aviation Manual, UN Aviation Standards for Peacekeeping & Humanitarian Air Transport Operations (UN AVSTADS), UN Aviation Safety Manual, ICAO, IATA & the host country’s Aeronautical Information Publications (AIP).
- Verifies the daily projected ATO’s for conformance & compliance with the requested tasks, resolves conflicting priorities & ensures that ATO’s are published & communicated to all relevant elements in accordance to the established procedures & deadlines. Manages routine (regular passenger / cargo, logistics resupply) flights & special flights for Sectors 1 & 5.
- Ensures that AORM is conducted for each & every flight.
- Coordinates all CASEVAC’s / MEDEVAC’s in consultation with all other key stakeholders & this includes NVG CASEVAC’s.
- Provides oversight on military & operational flights & ensures that all MATO’s are approved for each task.
- Provides initial training for new flight crew personnel & monitors that the flight crews are briefed & conversant with UN policies, flight safety procedures & latest applicable aviation standard requirements.
- Confirms that appropriate reference documents are readily available & accessible to all flight crew & aviation personnel.
- Manages JMAOC Archives Unit to ensure a systematic way in fitting all Accountable Aviation Documents & for ease of retrieval of the same documents.
- Oversight of passenger & cargo flights.
- Interface with SCAA at sector level & flight Information Services for Somalia for licensing of the air crews & aircraft’s, when applicable.
- report all Status MHE, truck vehicles to Chief Air Terminal Unit.
- Ensure that aircraft & vehicle movements on the ramp & in the vicinity of the buildings are conducted in accordance with appropriate ICAO, FISS, & UNSOS rules, regulations, policies & guidance. This is to include wearing the appropriate protective equipment.
- Ensures that the UNSOS Mechanical Handling Equipment (MHE) is in working conditions & properly maintained.
- Monitors & verifies fuel upload for all UNSOS aircraft. Record the amount of fuel registered on the fuel trucks gauge & compares it with the amount of fuel indicated on the aircraft’s fuel gauge.
- Ensures that refueling operations are conducted in a safe manner.
- Verifies cargo manifest when required hand supervises on & off loading & handling of all cargo.
- Supervises load handling of dangerous cargo as per ICAO, CAA, IATA & UNSOS regulations, polices & established procedures.
- Develops passenger & cargo load plans.
- Liaises with other UN sections / units, NGO’s & govt. organizations & inter govt. agencies on immigration & customs matter.
- Record statistical data on the movement of passengers & cargoes (including dangerous goods requiring special handling) within & / or outside the field mission.
- Monitors the preparation of luggage & cargo for transportation & ensures that weighting, plastic wrapping & labeling are conducted in accordance with the established procedures.
- Assist in the planning, coordination & execution of military & police contingent deployment, rotations & repatriations.
- Brief passengers on schedules, routes, timing & safety requirements.
- Monitors check in & check out activities for outgoing & incoming passengers & cargo.
- The project reporting will be done on a monthly basis in coordination with the Team Leader on site.
- Work in collaboration & synchronized with the Team Leader on site for backup in the Team Leaders absence.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in Africa (desirable)
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
- Technical or vocational certificate in air transportation, safety management, air traffic control OR graduation form equivalent military establishment or military / air traffic control training is required.
- Technical or vocational certificate in movement control, multi modal transportation, logistics management or a related field is desirable.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in an occupation directed to air operations, movement control, freight forwarding, logistics management or a related field.
- Experience in the use of IATA rules & procedures for transportation of dangerous goods as well as AMISOM / UNSOS aviation experience is mandatory.
- Experienced in supporting the military or in a field setting, particularly under hardship conditions is required.
- Professionalism: Demonstrated experience in area of specialty & ability to apply good judgement, high degree of autonomy, personal initiative & ability to take ownership. Willingness to accept wide responsibilities & ability to work independently under established procedures in a politically sensitive environment, while exercising discretion, impartiality & neutrality, responsive & client oriented.
- Accountability: Mature & responsible, ability to operate in compliance with organizational rules & regulations.
- Commitment to continuous learning: Initiative & willingness to learn new skills & stay abreast of new developments in areas of expertise, ability to adapt to changes in work environment.
- Planning & organizing: Effective organizational & problem solving skills & ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient & timely manner, ability to establish priorities & to plan, coordinate & monitor (own) work, ability to work under pressure with conflicting deadlines & to handle multiple concurrent project / activities.
- Teamwork & respect for diversity: Ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries, ability to maintain & establish effective partnership & harmonious working relations in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity& respect for diversity & gender.
- Communication: Proven interpersonal skills, good spoken & written communication skills, including the ability to prepare clear & concise reports, ability to communicate & empathize with staff (including national staff), military personnel, volunteers, counterparts & local interlocutors coming from very diverse backgrounds, capacity to transfer information & knowledge to a wide range of different target groups.
Other relevant information:
- To be advised.