UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, hope
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
Under the supervision of the Chief Field Office, support the administrative/operations functions and ensure adequate management of property, plant and equipment, creates requisition and process payment. Also support the operations team on travel managementWithin the operations structure of the field office, the Administrative assistant performs duties related to management of operations at the Hub office level.The position of Administrative Assistant at the G-4 level, reports to the Chief Field Office at NOC level.
How can you make a difference?
1. Management of office property and office consumables
• Maintain record of all office property and ensure they are properly tagged and ensure tracking system is in place and updated on a regular basis upon authorized movement.• Create a room list of all assets provided to each staff/office and ensure every staff signed for the assets in their custody.• Conduct at least 2 physical counts yearly (a mid-year and year-end) of PP&E, perform appropriate Vision related transactions where required, generate and submit reports.• Identify office property items due for disposal by the Property Survey Board (PSB) and generate a matrix for further action by the Supervisor and the management.• Assist in implementing PSB decisions.• Manage office consumables efficiently; create bin cards for each consumable, update bin cards and established the reorder level for each consumable. Document all deliveries and receipts. Order consumable based on the reorder level and at no time should there be stock out. Produce the monthly consumption reports.• Carry out quarterly count of consumable stocks and proceed with reconciliation of counts data with data base records.• Identify and effect required repairs and maintenance of office premises, equipment, fittings and fixtures.• Ensure a clean work environment including the surroundings, on a daily basis.• Any other Admin related activities and in any HR, activities as instructed by the management.
2. Creation of Requisitions and Payment Processing and Other related activities
• Responsible to raise requisitions for procurement’s requiring requisitions as they relate to Operations sections or for office use and provide assistance to programme sections in raising requisitions when required.• In line with UNICEF procedures and rules, initiate all payments related to Operations sections and ensure supporting documents are consistent; provide assistance when needed for payments related to programme sections.• Raise Fund Commitments (FCs) and services/supply/consumable requisitions in Vision (ERP System).• Generates open commitments reports for review and ensure closure of obligations that have been consumed.• Receive approved requests for vendor registrations, fill the require form and send to Master Data Management (MDM) in Juba for onward submission to Global Shared Service Centre (GSSC) in Budapest, Hungary.
3. Finance related function and activities
• Responsible for the management of the petty cash and disburse funds from the petty cash only against approved requests and within the petty cash limit (within 24 hours of receipt of requests). Comply with the rules on petty cash management and ensure to disburse cash only for eligible expenses.• Ensure petty cash are replenished as soon as possible and that there is always sufficient petty cash for minor operational expenses. Submit petty cash documents, including the certificate of cash counts to the finance Juba for petty cash replenishment.• Maintain accurate petty cash records and ensure that petty cash vouchers and cash are kept in the cash till and that the cash till is kept in the safe at the end of each day.• Liquidate and submit liquidation to Finance Juba for onward submission to Global Shared Service Center (GSSC) in Budapest, Hungary.
4. Specific Administrative Tasks and Travel Management
• Perform travel admin functions of Travel Authorization (TA), including checking for and effecting required corrections, posting and follow up on certification as well as updating of certified TAs as per approvals.• Follow up open TA report and inform individuals with open TAs over 05 days and share with the Operations officers for appropriate further action.• Certify and Close TAs in VISION for drivers and other operations staff members who do not have Vision challenges• Maintain Guesthouse booking system
5. Reporting Activities and Filing System
• Maintain accurate and adequate filing of all Admin/HR and Finance documents for verification and audit purpose.• Ensure IN/OUT mails/correspondences/pouch are registered in the registry log and dispatch outgoing mails/pouch via UNHAS. • Prepare reports of activities of Sitrep on a monthly basis or when required and contribute with input to the office global reporting activities.
DUTY STATION AND TRAVELThis post is based in Pibor with field mission as needed.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
• Completion of secondary education. • Technical or university courses related to administration or accounting will be an asset.
2. Work Experience
• Four (4) years of progressively responsible administrative or clerical work experience. • Understanding of development and humanitarian work in emergency situation is an advantage
3. Language Proficiency
• Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or• local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are…
i) Core Values• Commitment • Diversity and Inclusion • Integrity
ii) Core Competencies Communication (II) Working with people (II) Drive for results (II)
iii) Functional Competencies Formulating strategies/concepts (II) Relating and networking (II) Persuading and influencing (II) Analyzing (II)
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Job City Juba